Intermediate B/K

Thursday, February 10, 2005

I am boring or I am bored?

Which is correct? The party was excited. The party was exciting.

The -ed form is often used after phrases such as I feel... or I was ...
The -ing form is used to describe the effect that something has on you.
You might be excited about the party, and you might say that the party was exciting. But parties don't usually have feelings!!!

We have talked about this in class, and will do some more work on it in week 6.

One way to help you remember the difference between -ing and -ed, might be to remember your own sentence like the one below that illustrates the difference between the two forms.
I went to a lecture on Tuesday night which I found very interesting (or which was interesting). I was especially interested in what the lecturer said about ...

Think about the two different meanings of each of this sentence.

I think our class is quite frightening/frightened.

In Module 6 we will do some more practice of these forms. Before then you might like to have a look at someone else's explanation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home